About Me:

I am a professional Pet Groomer. I have been grooming for 28 years. This Blog is a kind of diary of my work. I wish I had started years ago, writing some of the experiences I have had while grooming. Most days are fun, some can be sad, some can be just down right crazy. If you are a pet owner and come across this blog, I hope it helps you understand how your pet is groomed. If you are a Pet Groomer, I hope you can relate to some of the stories. Maybe even learn a grooming tip or can leave a friendly grooming tip for me. There is always something to learn, no matter how long you have been grooming.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Tuesdays Tip #7

Baby Wipes!
I always have a large bag of Baby wipes in my shop.


I buy the large resealable bag.
I also buy the Hypoallergenic wipes.
I keep them by my table so that I can grab one quickly when needed.
I use them for many different things.





I use them when a nail bleeds.

I clean up the nail with the wipe.



Then dip the nail in Qwick Stop.




I put pressure on the nail till the bleeding stops.

When all of the bleeding stops...






I use another wipe to clean up around the nail.
The wipe has just enough moisture to clean up any blood, but not wash off the Qwick stop.




A wipe is also great to clean up your hands and table, without having to put the dog away to go wash 
your hands.







The wipes also come in handy to clean the inside of ears.
I don't use the wipes inside of the ear canal, just on the inside flap.




This is my girl.
Her ears tend to get a little dirty between groomings.

She will get her bath for Christmas on Thursday, I hope. :)









WARNING:
The next few pictures are not the least bit attractive.
My kids thought that I was crazy when I asked them to take these pictures.

It's the ugly part of the job. 

Anal Glans! 

All of my full groom dogs get their Anal Glans expressed in the tub before they are bathed, so that I can thoroughly shampoo and clean their rear.
But...


 I also do walk-in Anal Glans.

The wipes come in very handy for this service.

First , I cover my hand with a wipe, making a little pocket in the palm of my hand.








Then I express the Anals, making sure that the wipe covers the dogs rear.









All of the expressed Anals are caught in the wipe.




Depending on the amount of Anals that I get out, I fold the wipe over and lightly rub the rear clean.


I use as many wipes as need to clean the rear.
Most of the time, two wipes are more then enough.







Extra Tip:
I usually scissor or lightly clip around the rear, on a long hair breed, before expressing the Anal Glans.
The clean up is easier on walk-ins.

Baby Wipes are also great if a finished groom goes to the bathroom in their kennel and gets a little on their feet before you can get to them.
It is not enough mess to wash the dog again, just a little on the bottom of the feet or rear.
The baby wipes can clean the feet and rear very nicely, leaving a pleasant smell.

They are also great to wipe down the front of your smock between dogs.
Nothing like having a fully in-tacked  male mindlessly sniffing all over your smock while you are trying to groom him, just because he smells the dog you did before him.

The wipes are also very handy for cleaning up after a dog messes on your table.
Or, slobbers all over your table.

I also have one more thing that I like to keep by my table.




A roll of Toilet Paper.  :)

I do not like to use Baby Wipes around dogs and cats eyes, so I use Toilet paper.





I wrap a small piece of toilet paper around my finger and clean out the corner of eyes that continually weep.

If moisture has built up under the eye again after the bath and before I have scissored around the eyes, I will use the toilet paper to dry the hair under the eye so that I can scissor.

I like using toilet paper around the eyes instead of a paper towel, because it is softer and gentle.

The toilet paper is also great for cleaning the slobber off of a dogs chin when you are trying to finish the groom.





I hope that at least one of these tips helped.

Happy Grooming, MFF

3 comments:

  1. thank you for your advice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice, baby wipes save the day! I use them daily, every time after I take my dog out for a walk. So much cheaper than paw wipes that are made specifically for dogs. A side question, at what age should I be getting my pup's anal glands expressed? He is a little over 1 year. Do I only need to get this done if there seems to be an issue with him relieving himself, or should it just be a regular (6 month? yearly?) appointment? Thanks so much for your advice, love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      There is a lot of debate out there about anal glands. Even Veterinarians no longer agree.
      This is my feeling on the matter and what I do for my own dogs and my customers.
      Each time a bathe a dog I will feel for the anal glands. If they feel mostly empty, or only have a little in them I leave them alone. The dog is more than likely expressing them themselves.
      If the glands feel very full I will express them with a light pressured squeeze.
      To be honest, out of all my dogs (I have 6) only one of them needs me to express the glands.
      I would leave your dogs glands alone for now. If you find your dog repeatedly scooting his rear on the ground he may be trying to empty them and may need help.
      It would not hurt to have the Vet or groomer just CHECK them at each appointment.
      Hope this helps. Thanks for reading my blog. :)
      Lisa, MFF

      Delete