About Me:

I am a professional Pet Groomer. I have been grooming for 28 years. This Blog is a kind of diary of my work. I wish I had started years ago, writing some of the experiences I have had while grooming. Most days are fun, some can be sad, some can be just down right crazy. If you are a pet owner and come across this blog, I hope it helps you understand how your pet is groomed. If you are a Pet Groomer, I hope you can relate to some of the stories. Maybe even learn a grooming tip or can leave a friendly grooming tip for me. There is always something to learn, no matter how long you have been grooming.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Changing Cuts

It always makes me wonder, when a customer who's dog I have been grooming in the same cut for years and years, suddenly comes in and totally changes their dogs hair cut.
Most of the time the cuts go from short to longer.

I have one Shih-tzu that we have been grooming since he was a puppy.
It is this customers second dog.
His name is 'Friskey'.
He is the best dog.
He has always been the best dog to groom.
His very first cut at 12 weeks was a hand scissored puppy cut.
He stood perfectly still.
The cut eventually turned into a cute Lamb Cut.





 This was 'Friskey' back in 2002.

He got a Lamb #4 on the back and scissored on his legs.






His Mom loved his long tail.

It dragged the ground, and hung beautifully over his back when he held it up.






'Friskey's' Mom loved his full face and beard.









He had such a cute face.









  Why do I keep talking in the past tense.
No, 'Friskey' did not pass away.
Or move away.
We still groom him.
He still has the same owner, but he does not live with her anymore.

Three or four years ago his very active, elderly owner went into the hospital for a knee replacement.
She never walked again.
She had to move to an Assisted Living Home.
'Friskey' went to live with a friend.
His old Mom still pays for all of 'Friskey's' bills.
His second Mom, the one he lives with, does not like his long hair.

Over the last three years, she has been asking us to take 'Friskey' shorter and shorter.
I have come to believe that even if we clipped  'Friskey' with a #30 blade, it would not be short enough.
His second Mom also thinks that he grows back way too fast.


This is how he is groomed now.  :(







We clip him down with a #7F blade.







All over, even his face and ears.







We scissor his tail down very short.

It is only a matter of time before his second Mom asks for a rats tail.

I can't tell you how much I hate this cut on him.







 Is it just me, or does he look sad now?

He was always so proud after his grooming.

He barks now too.
He never barked before.







'Friskey's' second Mom says that his other Mom is okay with the new cut.
I find that hard to believe, but she only gets to see him about once a month.


 There are a lot of dogs that come in that I would like to do a different cut on then what the owner wants, but I always say, that I am not the one that has to live with them and see the dog everyday.
So what the owner wants, the owner gets.
So what is the problem with 'Friskey'?

I don't know, I guess that I feel sorry for him.
His life was suddenly uprooted, and then someone decided that he looked better bald!

I have to say, I do like the customers that let me groom their dog the way I think will look nice.

Happy Grooming, MFF

















4 comments:

  1. Ohhhh God ive cryed so much he looks miserable now i just hiope they take care of him :( i think the owner must hurt so much everytime she sees him :( he looks like a totally diffrent dog this is so sad!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous,
    I am sorry to say that my dear furry friend, 'Friskey', passed away a couple of months ago. He was 11 years old. He is playing around the rainbow bridge right now waiting for is Mom. :)
    We miss grooming him.
    Lisa, MFF

    ReplyDelete
  3. :( have fun Frisky :( im a sucker for these things

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!! I have owned dogs since I was about ten, now thirty-two. I have owned Labrador/ mix, Labrador retriever, German Shepherds(2), Shih tzu, Boxer, now we have two Pit bull terrier mix rescues, and another Shih tzu. Both of our Shih tzu's were very picky about their cuts!! The first was a male and would have to be groomed in front of a large mirror and constantly stop my mom so he could do a length check, so funny. Then he would also prance around like the late Frisky. Our current Shih tzu is female and is not fond of grooming and is not as picky but, she prances as well when she is finished, unless she doesn't like her cut. You can see the heart ache in the two pictures and it breaks my heart so badly. Each dog has their personalities like people and want to feel and look good as well, that woman should've been ashamed to butcher that sweet dog!

    ReplyDelete