About Me:

I am a professional Pet Groomer. I have been grooming for 28 years. This Blog is a kind of diary of my work. I wish I had started years ago, writing some of the experiences I have had while grooming. Most days are fun, some can be sad, some can be just down right crazy. If you are a pet owner and come across this blog, I hope it helps you understand how your pet is groomed. If you are a Pet Groomer, I hope you can relate to some of the stories. Maybe even learn a grooming tip or can leave a friendly grooming tip for me. There is always something to learn, no matter how long you have been grooming.

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Trying To Holdout

Intergroom is next weekend.
I have a list of things that we need.
Most of them are things that we can wait for.
Then there are a few things that we need right now.
Not sure if we can go another week.

Why is it that things seem to break down at the same time?
First our main HV dryer stopped working.
That is in the repair shop right now.
Turned out to be the brushes, but I did not have any replacements on hand.
Then one of my 5-in-1 blades hit the floor.
Broke off the stupid little latch that holds it onto the clipper. Grrrrr

I usually have at least two 5-in-1 blades going at one time.
One for feet, faces, and bellies, and one strictly to use with my comb attachments.
I figured that I could get by for a couple of weeks with just one....till Intergroom.

Then Jessica's 5-in-1 blade decided to act up too.
Theeeennn her Chromado cordless clipper decided that it no longer wanted to hold a charge.
So, we have been sharing my Bravura.

It is amazing how we always seem to need the cordless at the same time. lol

On top of all of this, my good 5-in-1 blade starts to act up.
It is still okay for face, feet and bellies, but no longer wants to work with my comb attachments.
So for the last week I have not been able to use my comb attachments.






Although I keep trying.

Like today......







......On this big hairy guy.

He gets professionally groomed once a year.

His owner does a amazing job keeping him combed out.

He only had a few small knots in his coat.

He also has a great coat to scissor.



His owner likes to scissor him down to 2 to 3 inches left.
I don't mind hand scissoring.
Actually it is my favorite part of grooming, but sometimes there is just not enough time.
So, you need a shortcut.

Comb attachments are a great shortcut to help make a hand scissor cut go quicker.
Unless your 5-in-1 blade decides to act up on you....

Skimming is the next best time saver.








That is what I had to do on this guys coat the other day.

My 5-in-1 blade was acting up then too.









I used my #7F blade to skim over the top of the  coat to take some of the hair off.










Then I followed up with my scissors.

This is the first side finished.



 






The length that I skimmed off turned out to be exactly what the owners wanted.  :)









 As for the big guy today.....

The comb attachment worked a little till it clogged one too many times and I was ready to toss it across the room.






I ended up completely hand scissoring him.

I thought about skimming, but even though he was pretty good on the table, he would also suddenly and unexpectedly move or shift his weight.

I was afraid that he would shift at the wrong moment and I would suddenly have a chunk of hair missing from the #7F.

Nightmare!

Didn't want that to happen.

The decision to hand scissor was made.


Oh...guess what?

Late this afternoon I was going through some things looking for replacement brushes for the dryer, and guess what I found?

A brand new 5-in-1 blade still in the package!
I thought that I had one.
I tore the place apart looking for it last week.
It was right where I thought it should be.
I looked there.
I swear that I did!
As a matter of fact, I looked there a couple of times. :p
Wouldn't it figure that I find it when I am looking for something else?

I  will probably find the replacement brushes right after my blade man brings back my dryer with the new brushes that he ordered.
Go figure. :/





11 comments:

  1. I used to use my bravura for all comb cuts also, but now I use the Oster Volt. Nothing beats it. I encourage you to buy one and try it out. You can always sell it if you don't like it or use it for back up. It runs so much faster than the bravura and cuts your clipping time in half. It almost never gets clogged down by thick hair. I love my bravura and I use it for puppies because it is so quiet, but I mostly use it for sanitary, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks littlemonsterbc,
      I will have to check out the Volt.

      Delete
  2. I know this post wasn't really about the grooms, but I thought those were two great grooms! that little black dog looked adorable, I'm glad you mostly left his face alone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa,
    I found your blog about 3 weeks ago, I have since read every entry. I've been volunteering at my local shelter for 3 years now and have just begun helping with grooming. Before I found you all my knowledge of grooming was the chopping up of my dog's coat in-between grooms ;) I am so greatful for the time you have taken to walk through your work. My grooms have gone from a #10F all over to a little more style. (it would still make any groomer cry, but the dogs feel better after and I like the amateur look.) Last week I clipped 5 dogs nails one-after-the-other. Instead of having 3 of us hold the dogs down, I took my time and was calm and gentle. Wow! It worked fantastic! Thank you so much for your insight and willingness to share. The dogs I work with thank you!
    -Elizabeth, UT
    p.s. I love your customer stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth,
      Don't worry, you will get better and better with time. The important thing is that you are helping those dogs. So glad that my blog has helped.
      That is great about the nails too. :)
      Lisa, MFF

      Delete
  4. Buy these replacement batteries Lisa, for your wahl cordless clippers!! I just replaced two of my bravura batteries with them and they work fantastic!! ... here is the link for ebay, they ship from poland, i got mine in just a little over a week. I'll fb msg you a pic of how i replaced it!! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Belissima-Wahl-Moser-Ermila-Ersatzakku-3-6V-NiMh-EXTRA-LARGE-Akku-Batterie-NiMh-/290870006611?pt=DE_Elektronik_Computer_Haushaltsger%C3%A4te_Kleinger%C3%A4teWellness_PM&hash=item43b9341353

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the info Jackie,
      I am sure this will help other groomers also. :)

      Delete
  5. Hi, I thought I posted a comment before but it is no longer showing up, I am sorry for re-posting if it is still there and I can't see it or if you removed it for some reason. I've never commented on a bog before so I don't really know how it works. I think your blog is awesome and unlike most groomers I actually really like the look of your finished product.

    I was wondering if you have ever groomed, or know anything about grooming a Bernedoodle (Bernese Mtn. Dog and Poodle mix). It is hard to find information about because they are a fairly new and uncommon breed (at least where I come from). I have heard from many people that they are a groomer's nightmare, even worse than Wheatens. I am grooming her myself because the two other Bernedoodles I know were shaved down like poodles and their hair never grew back. If you have any information or ideas on how to groom one I would really appreciate it. I work very hard to keep her well groomed and I am very committed to doing anything I need to to keep her happy and healthy, I already give her an hour and a half thorough brush out every day to keep her matts a bay (if I miss a day the next day is horrible).

    I love grooming her and I just wanted to add this part of the comment because I read in another post that you actually enjoy dematting and I have to say I do too. My dog was abused before I got her and had never been properly groomed (she was pretty much one huge matt). The first few weeks of grooming took HOURS upon HOURS of daily grooming thank goodness she is the best dog ever and happily sat through it (once I found the proper tools). Also luckily, I like to look at dematting as almost a hobby rather than a chore.

    Love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kama-Khazi,

      Sorry I missed this comment.

      I personally have never groomed a Bernedoodle. (Although I do have a dog that comes in that I could see passing for one) I can only imagine what her coat looks like. I would imagine that if the dogs coat is more like a Bernese rather than a Poodle, it is most likely a double coat. If her coat leans more towards a double coat, clipping her may ruin it and it may not grow back right, like your friends dogs. If her coat is more like a poodle she may be able to handle being clipped. It is so hard to say when I can't see and feel a coat.
      You sound like you are doing a great job keeping up her coat. You may want to invest in a Coat King tool (undercoat rake) to help thin out her coat if needed.
      Thanks for reading my blog. :)
      LIsa, MFF

      Delete
  6. I've always wanted to spend the day at a dog grooming place. I think I would be way too excited and want to play with all the dogs before getting anything done. I really like the idea of dog groomers. It makes it a little easier on the owner to have someone who knows how, to groom their dog.
    -Seamus | Chester Valley Veterinary Hospital

    ReplyDelete