About Me:

I am a professional Pet Groomer. I have been grooming for 28 years. This Blog is a kind of diary of my work. I wish I had started years ago, writing some of the experiences I have had while grooming. Most days are fun, some can be sad, some can be just down right crazy. If you are a pet owner and come across this blog, I hope it helps you understand how your pet is groomed. If you are a Pet Groomer, I hope you can relate to some of the stories. Maybe even learn a grooming tip or can leave a friendly grooming tip for me. There is always something to learn, no matter how long you have been grooming.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Dreaded Pom Poms

Out of all the style clips that I have done over the years, there is only one that I HATE doing.

The Town & Country
The Bikini
The Pom Pom
The Clown
There are other names for this clip, I am sure, these are just the ones that I have heard.

Did I mention that I hate this clip?
Oh yeah.. I did.

I think that my dislike for this clip started around 23 years ago.
I was still new to grooming. I had only been grooming for 3 years when a new customer called to say she had 4 Min. Poodles.
I was so happy. I was building my clientle. 
New customers! Yea!

Until she came in and told me what she wanted.
The Pom Pom cut...on ALL four!
Translation...
16 poodle feet
16 pom poms
8 more pom poms if you add the topknots and tails.

AND, on top of it all, I had let her talk me into giving her a brake on the price because she was bring ME 4 poodles.
My only excuse?...
New groomer stupidity, brain damage, anything to get customers syndrome.
You name it, I had it.

I did those poodles for 6 years before I got a backbone and told her I could no longer give her a brake on the price.
She found another sucker..I mean groomer.

Anyway, I think I was scared for life, because any time a customer even hints about this clip I try to talk them out of it.
It works most of the time.
Out of my 350 customers, only 3 get this cut.
Three too many.
Three that absolutely Love this cut.
Wouldn't be talked out of it.
 
This is "Zeke". He gets pom poms two times in a row, then they have to be shaved off because of heavy matting.
Then we start all over again.

Pom Pom cut:
Body: #5F blade
Legs: #5F blade
Face: Clean, #15 blade
Feet: # 30 blade
Pom Poms: scissored with curved shears (thank God for curved shears)


This is "Peppe"
"Peppe" is 112 years old (16 in people years)
I have been grooming "Peppe" his whole life.
In THIS clip!
He can no longer stand to get his face clipped.

Body: #5F blade
Legs: #5F blade
Face: #15 blade (I get it as clean as he will let me.)
Feet: #30 (whatever hair is still on his feet)
Ears: DO NOT TOUCH WITH SCISSORS
(owners request)

Today I groomed "Princess".
I have been grooming her for 2 years now.
She is one of the sweetest poodles I groom.
"Princess's" Mom is a nice elderly lady who LOVES the Pom Pom cut.

Oh...did you notice that "Princess" has very short legs?
She would look so much better in a cute Lamb clip, don't you think?

Don't worry, she has ears, they are clipped back out of the way while I clip her feet.
Did I mention, she has very short legs?




She LOVES hugs.
She LOVES to snuggle.
She would climb inside you if she could.

This makes up for her Mom's choice in clips.


Bathed, fluffed, and ready for the clip.

Body: #4F blade (mom doesn't want her too short)
Legs: #5F blade (to help the pom poms stand out on those short legs)
Face: clean, #15 with the grain (mom wants very short, but not shaved)
Feet: # 30 blade


Scissor, Scissor

Comb, Comb

Scissor, Scissor





I Love this dog.

I STILL Hate this clip.
Now, if only I could get them to stop eating their ears!
At least till after their owners pick them up. ;)

Happy Grooming, MFF

2 comments:

  1. Zeke looks fabulous! His topknot is PERFECT - I wish I can do such a nice shape :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi tvergirl2001,
    Thank you. I am sure that you could if you had a topknot to work on like his. He has the perfect texture of hair on his head. It makes it very easy to scissor his topknot.
    Lisa, MFF

    ReplyDelete