About Me:

I am a professional Pet Groomer. I have been grooming for 28 years. This Blog is a kind of diary of my work. I wish I had started years ago, writing some of the experiences I have had while grooming. Most days are fun, some can be sad, some can be just down right crazy. If you are a pet owner and come across this blog, I hope it helps you understand how your pet is groomed. If you are a Pet Groomer, I hope you can relate to some of the stories. Maybe even learn a grooming tip or can leave a friendly grooming tip for me. There is always something to learn, no matter how long you have been grooming.

Friday, July 13, 2012

Friday the 13th

Am I superstitious?

Well, I have been known to knock on wood a lot. :)

Most of the time Friday the 13th passes by without me really thinking about it.
I am usually too busy at work to think about it..except for today.

Just a few things made me think about it today.

My first two dogs this morning were 30 minutes late.
Not that big of a deal, except for the fact that they are two really big Cockers that normally get hand scissored all over....and they had to skip their last appointment.

They were one long, thick, hairy mess.

As I was HVing the first Cocker, my husband came in to tell me that a cat had come in to have its nails clipped and brushed out.


I love this cat.

He is the sweetest thing.

Just touch him and the butt goes up in the air and he is rubbing all over you.

What happened next was totally my fault.

I am proud of the fact that I have a good amount of common sense.

I am usually pretty good about using it too, especially when grooming.

Not today.

As I walked over to my grooming table, to get the cat out of his carrier, I remember thinking that I should tell my daughter to turn off the HV dryer that she was using to dry a dog on her table.

I thought it, but I didn't tell her.

I unzipped the carrier and my little orange friend immediately started rubbing all over my hand.
I reached in and picked him up out of the carrier.
I had just lifted him high enough to clear the carrier when the sound of the dryer changed as my daughter moved the hose around the dog.

It made that loud swooshing sound.

The cat freaked.
He flipped in mid air and used my face as a push off point to dive back into the carrier.

Was it my stupidity, or Friday the 13th that caused me to have a inch long scratch across my cheek, two scratches under my lip, a two and a half inch scratch on my chin, and a puncture on my jaw?

Yep, I was stupid, but I am going to blame Friday the 13th anyway.

What next?

Oh ya, the Self-Serve.

The Self-Serve dog that barked the second he got in the tub, and continued to bark the entire time his owner washed him.

I was still grooming the same big Cocker when my husband came and told me that the Self-Serve wanted the dogs nails clipped.

A great big overweight Chesapeake Bay Retriever.

A very spunky, happy, hyper, Chesapeake Bay Retriever.

When I clip nails in the Self-Serve, I tell the owner that they can stay and pet the dogs head.
This owner walked away.

The dog was like, 'were the heck are you going? I am coming to!'

He tried to get out of the tub.
I tried to push him back...and tried...and tried... and....

POP!!

That dog popped the eye hook that the grooming loop was attached to right out of the concrete wall!

There was no holding him in the tub.

The owner just stood there and watched me struggle till I asked him for help.

So I clipped the  dogs nails while he was on the floor.
While he was on the floor moving around, wiggling, beating me with his tail, and licking my glasses off my scratched up face.
All the while that the granddaughter was telling me that I was hurting the dog.

Yep........Friday the 13th!

Lets see, was there something else?

Of course.

My husband brings the last appointment of the day in.

"She wants you to keep doing what you have been doing to her teeth," he said. " She said her teeth smell better after she is groomed."
"What have you been doing to her teeth?" 

My daughter and I just looked at him.

"What in the world are you talking about?" I said to my husband. "I don't do anything to that dogs teeth."
"That woman drives me crazy." I continued. "I don't know what she thinks she has been smelling, but it is probably just the dogs clean face."

This poor dog has so much tarter on its teeth you can barely see any white tooth anymore.
I know that I have told her she needs to have the dogs teeth cleaned.
They just don't listen.

As for her thinking that I do something to make the teeth smell better...........

....................It's Friday the 13th!

Only two more hours till the 14th. :)

Happy Grooming, MFF

2 comments: