About Me:

I am a professional Pet Groomer. I have been grooming for 28 years. This Blog is a kind of diary of my work. I wish I had started years ago, writing some of the experiences I have had while grooming. Most days are fun, some can be sad, some can be just down right crazy. If you are a pet owner and come across this blog, I hope it helps you understand how your pet is groomed. If you are a Pet Groomer, I hope you can relate to some of the stories. Maybe even learn a grooming tip or can leave a friendly grooming tip for me. There is always something to learn, no matter how long you have been grooming.

Thursday, October 1, 2015

Creative Grooming Hershey 2015

** NOTE: To anyone who lands on this blog entry that does not agree with creative grooming, I suggest that you move on and not even bother looking at this post. This creative competition is a one day competition that lasts for a few hours. The dogs are given a break during the grooming so that they do not have to stand on a grooming table for the entire time. The rules are strict and the colors used are pet safe. These dogs are very much loved by their owners (the groomers). They live like any other well loved dog. They run, they play, and they sleep most of the day away. AND they do not care if their hair is a different color. They DO love the attention they get from being colored.


 Usually when I post creative grooming pictures I post before and after shots with some shots of the groomers as they groom.
I thought that I would change it up a little this year.
As a groomer who competed in creative a few times, I like to see the dogs close up.
So, I thought that I would post up close pictures of some of the grooming as it was happening.
I tried to get closer pictures of sections of the dog as they were being worked on an after they were finished.

Many of the groomers do not turn their dogs while they groom.
They like to keep the side that they think will make the most impact as a surprise for the end of the competition, because of this I was not able to get close up pictures of everything.
Some of the pictures are also cropped and zoomed in to get a close up look which causes some of the pictures to be a little blurry.

Some dogs have much more detail than others, so some dogs have many more pictures.






Groomer: Kayla Spears

Theme: Beetle juice






































                                                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~





Groomer: Karen Stickel

Theme: Happyfeet







This groomer came in with an all white dog and then used a spray on color to color him to look like a penguin.










Do you see the baby penguin?








BEFORE>











Groomer: Patricia Parsons

Theme: Nightmare Before Christmas














BEFORE>



<1st SIDE AFTER







2nd SIDE AFTER>











                                                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~






Groomer: Brandy Wilson

Theme:  Princess























AFTER>










 I will post more tomorrow. :-)
The creative grooms for tomorrow are more detailed than the ones pictured here.


 

2 comments:

  1. I just happened upon your blog this morning as I was researching home grooming dryers. I am a first time standard poodle owner and have done all her grooming since she was 2 months old. I bathe and dry her once a week or every other week and shave her face, feet and tail and scissor the rest of her. I am tired of spending so much time, however, using a blowdryer for her coat. I like it really straight, but it just takes so long. Is there a home dryer you would be able to recommend? I found an XPower B-2 air chaser--have you had any experience with something like this? Thank you so much for your fun, informative blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katy,
      Thank you for the complement on the blog.

      I am afraid that the dryer I am going to recommend is a bit of an investment, but you have anywhere from 12 to 16 years ahead of you grooming your wonderful Poodle. This dryer should last you for many of those years.
      I love the K9 Fluff High Velocity Dryer.

      http://www.cherrybrook.com/index.cfm/a/catalog.prodShow/vid/475500/vname/K9_Fluffer_Dryer

      This dryer has a variable speed control that allows you to control the speed of the air so that you can use it on every part of the body. Turn it up higher for the body and legs and lower for head and ears, or whatever is comfortable for your dog. It is also great for training a puppy to accept the dryer. You can start out with the air speed really low and slowly turn it up as the dog gets used to the pressure and noise of the air.
      I personally do not use the pointy nozzle that comes with this dryer. I take it all of the way off and only use the wide end of the black hose. I also put the wide nozzle right up against the dogs skin to dry from the skin out. I dry this way with all of the dogs that I groom and am able to get them 99% dry then finish with a 5 or 10 minute fluff and brush with a hand dryer.

      Here is a video that I did showing how I use the dryer:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s73k77AVMcg

      There are cheaper versions of this dryer, but they are not as powerful.
      I hope that this helps. :)

      Lisa,MFF

      Delete