About Me:

I am a professional Pet Groomer. I have been grooming for 28 years. This Blog is a kind of diary of my work. I wish I had started years ago, writing some of the experiences I have had while grooming. Most days are fun, some can be sad, some can be just down right crazy. If you are a pet owner and come across this blog, I hope it helps you understand how your pet is groomed. If you are a Pet Groomer, I hope you can relate to some of the stories. Maybe even learn a grooming tip or can leave a friendly grooming tip for me. There is always something to learn, no matter how long you have been grooming.

Friday, May 6, 2011

Putting in Double Head Bows

I only have a few customers that like the hair on top of their dogs head pulled back into a bow.
Sometimes I like to change it up a bit, and put in two.

This is what I do.








When I blow dry the head, I leave the hair that I am going to tie up a little damp.








I comb all of the hair back, away from the eyes.








Then I part the hair down the middle of the head.







Comb each side down to help keep the part.

This works great when the hair is still damp.









Then I make another part from the corner of one eye to the corner of the ear.






If you can, try to let the dog lay down and rest their head on the table.

This helps them keep their head still.

Gather one of the parted sections.








I like to use childrens soft, small ponytail bands.









Then tie back the other side.


Watch to see if the band is pulling the hair too tight.

One way to tell is if the top eye lid is being pulled back and you can see the whites of the dogs eye.

To loosen the band, grab hold of the band, then with your other fingers, gently and very slowly pull a little of the hair back out of the band.

Do not pull the hair all of the way out.
Just a tiny bit, just enough to loosen the pull on the hair.

I hope that made sense.








Now wrap the band from your bow twice around your fingers.


Usually I pick out a bow that the same color of the childrens bands, but I didn't have anymore blue bows.








Pull the hair through the rubber band.







In this picture, the hair is only pulled through enough to make a little round knot above the bow.







In this picture the hair is pulled all of the way through to look like two little brushes.

This is what the owner likes.



On a side note, I really like my new backboard for the tub.
So I guess all of the cuts from the sheet metal were worth it.

This little guy loves to press himself against the back of the tub, or climb up the back of the tub wall.

Today he still pressed against the backboard, but the backboard kept him close enough to me that my back did not hurt me while bathing him.







I also don't have to lug it out of the tub every time we bathe a large dog.







We just push the backboard all of the way to the back wall of the tub to give more room for the larger dogs.







I like when my ideas work...they don't always.  :-)

Happy Grooming, MFF

4 comments:

  1. I love your ideas, too! We now use a Round-Up type sprayer with our Grimeinator shampoo (our basic shampoo, especially at this time of year when the nasties are still coming out of the woods... literally) and it really helps to cut down on bathing time. Every day I am more tempted to make a backboard...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bev,
    I am so glad the sprayer is working for you. Don't wait till your back gets as bad as mine. I think you will love a backboard. It does take a little getting used to, but once you don't have to reach across the table to groom some of those dogs, you will get used to it very quickly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your backboard on the table idea! I can't wait untill I open my own shop to have one.(don't think my boss will go for it)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could not groom without my backboard now. I love having the dogs up close to me. I don't understand why some bosses will not let their employees use equipment that could help them. :(
    Lisa, MFF

    ReplyDelete