About Me:

I am a professional Pet Groomer. I have been grooming for 28 years. This Blog is a kind of diary of my work. I wish I had started years ago, writing some of the experiences I have had while grooming. Most days are fun, some can be sad, some can be just down right crazy. If you are a pet owner and come across this blog, I hope it helps you understand how your pet is groomed. If you are a Pet Groomer, I hope you can relate to some of the stories. Maybe even learn a grooming tip or can leave a friendly grooming tip for me. There is always something to learn, no matter how long you have been grooming.

Thursday, March 21, 2013

I Got a Call....

 Phone rings...
~MFF: "My Furry Friends, can I help you?"
Customer: "Yes, I was wondering if you have a groomer there that knows how to do a 'correct' groom on a Goldendoodle?"

Now, I am not going to go into how this conversation went, because I have a question of my own?

Are dogs born with a grooming handbook that I don't know about?

What is a 'correct' groom for any breed.

I being serious.

I really want to know.

Is there some proof out there that Poodles must have shaved feet, or a shaved face?
Must Cockers have long ears with the top third of the ear shaved, and long skirts and legs that most owners are not able to keep up with?
Must Bichons have big poofy heads that make them look like they are going to topple all of the way over if they put their head down to sniff something?
Must Westies have heads groomed to look like they stuck their paw in a light socket?
Must Schnauzers and Scotties have eyebrows that grow to the tip of their nose? 

Just who came up with these 'correct' grooms?
 

What is the 'correct' cut for a Cockapoo?
A Shihapoo?
A Maltipoo?
A Schnoodle?
A Doxiechon?
A Pekeapoo?
A Labradoodle?
.......
I could do this all night.
 
I want to meet the person who decides what a 'correct' groom is.

I am very sure that there are groomers, breeders, handlers out there that would love to debate me on this subject.

I not trying to start something.

I would just like to know who is this person is/was that has this almighty power to look a dog and say 'cut this and that, leave that and this'......that is the 'correct way'!

It is really not that big of a deal.
When I have a customer that comes in with a pure breed dog, and they ask me "what is the 'correct' way to groom my dog?" I tell them that there is no 'correct' way, there is a recommended way, but you can groom your dog anyway that you would like it to look.

It also amazes me how many pet owners think that they have to groom their dog the 'correct' (recommended) way.
They are so surprised when I tell them that they can have their dogs groomed any way thety want, and in a way that is good for their lifestyle, and something that they can easily take care of.

The funny thing is, that even owners who want their pure breeds groomed in the 'correct' (recommended) groom, almost always tweak the groom a little.
"Do the Cocker pattern, but I don't want a lot of hair on the legs", or "I don't want the skirt".
A lot of times, by the time they are finished 'tweaking', the groom doesn't look anything like the 'correct' (recommended) groom. :)

Now, what can I even say about the 'correct' groom on the designer breeds?

I know what I can say.....

THERE IS NO SUCH THING!
THERE IS NO 'CORRECT' GROOMING FOR A MIXED BREED!

Oh, sorry.
I didn't mean to yell.

It is just that if one more person tells me that I am not a professional groomer because I don't know the 'correct' grooming for a designer breed, I am going to choke them.
Not really, but I am going to want to. :/

Hmmmmmm

I know what.

How about if I sit down and come up with a 'correct' groom, pattern, style for all of the designer breeds out there?
Well, maybe not all of them, since there seems to be new ones popping up all of the time.

Let's see....a Schnoodle.....how about eyebrows with a clean face, tasseled ears, and boots on the feet.
A Maltipoo......how about a foo-man-chew mustache with a small topknot,  shaved button ears, and a lamb pattern body with bell shaped legs.

Can you picture it?

It is like a blank canvas.
Why couldn't I do the same thing that the person who thought up the Poodle Continental, the Westie Style, and the Portuguese Water Dog style did?
Someone, somewhere sat down and thought up these grooming cuts, right?

Or, as I said before, were these pure breeds born with grooming handbooks that I don't know about?

I think that I am finally losing it.
I have inhaled too much hair over the years.
I think that I must have a large hair ball in my brain.

Don't mind me....I am in a strange mood tonight. :)

Happy Grooming, MFF



14 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this blog.
    I'm a newbie groomer at Petsomethingrather, and I must say that it has been very hard to learn in such an industrial, fast-paced environment. I'm also in an area filled with very rich and ritsy owners that love to complain about everything, and bring in their "pure bred" multipoos for a breed cut.
    The thing about working at Petsomethingrather is that there is a look great guarantee...and people like to take advantage of it. One hair out of place, and the whole groom is free. I was wondering what your advice is for dealing with hoards of nasty customers. As much as I tell myself that I do it for the dogs, getting complaints is still a damper on my confidence, especially as a new groomer.

    I'm really looking forward to following your blog! :) Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Reid,
      I think that it is so unfair that they have that guarantee. How can the big wigs upstairs possibly not realize that people are going to take advantage of that. It pisses me off when I see that commercial. I get so mad for the groomers working there.
      Unfortunately, you work in a type of shop that sets you up for people that are complainers. Listen to the complaining with an open mind. I am sure that you will be able to tell the complaints that are bogus and learn from the ones that are legit. As long as YOU know that you are doing your best, and that you are always working to get better, it can help a little with those complainers. It is so hard not to let them get to you.
      I have always killed my nasty customers with kindness. They may come in grumpy, but usually by the time I get through talking to them and trying to joke with them, they leave smiling. A smile can go so far, even with grumpy people. If you are allowed to talk to the customers, be really cheery, and praise their dogs. If they come to really like you, they are less likely to complain about something. If they do complain, listen to them offer to fix the problem, and stay cheery as possible. Then go out after work, find a gym and punch the crap out of a punching bag! :)
      How is that for advice....I wish I had better advice for you.
      You might like to check out this post that I wrote awhile back. You might get a good chuckle.

      http://petgroomingthegoodthebadthefurry.blogspot.com/2012/01/mr-mrs-pita.html

      I hope that things get better for you. Don't let Petsomething be your only grooming experience.
      Lisa, MFF

      Delete
  2. i agree absolutely. there is no "correct" i think maybe the owner ran into someone that told them their dog is being cut wrong..maybe there is a style of 2013 for dogs to be in style. like the high water pants when the poodle feet are cut very high i think was a 50's doo wop style they would be embarrassed nowadays. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. These customers are hilarious. They pay a lot of money for “designer” dogs or what we used to call “mutts.” You tell an owner that she can have her dog groomed any way she wants and YOU are the unprofessional one. It kills me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh i forgot to ask you how to reach you about maybe getting a appt for one or more of my dogs when you are here in intergroom i have the poos st. poos and poo mixes and toy poo. im close to secaucus im in clifton, nj. you dont have to publish this its really the only way i know of to contact you..do you have private email i know you are busy but if you can and what would the fee be thanks. my email is shell085@aol.com. and if you do consults about how to groom the lines start to stop i guess the correct way meaning i guess so the dog looks good. maybe thats what the lady meant correct so will look good. i know i used to cut poodle legs very low until i realized higher up the leg was so much better looking. i guess when your dogs look so amazing you must be doing the correct way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelly,
      My e-mail is furryfriendpets@yahoo.com

      I don't think that there would be anywhere for me to groom dogs at Intergroom, but I would be happy to give you some pointers. :)
      Lisa, MFF

      Delete
  5. Ive been trying to figure out why I have seemingly become addicted to your blog. For two weeks or more, it seems all I do in my brief bit of spare time is read this blog. All the comments, everything. I have been grooming for 22 years. Up until recently, the last thing I would have ever wanted to do was read about grooming: when Im so burnt out on grooming!!! So it finally hit me one day. On my way to work, I was relaxed. Not absolutley dreading my day that was ahead of me. For the first time in many, many, many years, I was finally getting the "Burn out Therapy" I have been desperately needing!!! Like many other groomers, I have lived and worked in this "grooming Bubble" with virtually NO ONE who could relate!!! Even the few friends that I have who are groomers didnt seem to be able to understand my plight. After further review, I concluded it was our vast differences in standards and work ethics that made my career seem so different from theirs. I mean, in what other career does it consistently seem that the less knowledgeable and skilled you are, and the less time and effort you put into your work, can make you MORE MONEY??? No wonder the average lifespan of a grooming career is only 7 years? I want you to know, this blog has gone a long way towards saving both my sanity and the 22 year career Ive worked so hard to excel at. I do find some of the grooming tips interesting. Mostly, I just love it that there is someone else out there that does things so closely to the way I do. I needed confirmation that putting out all that effort is STILL important and Im not just a crazy overachiever. I find the ranting ones offer me the most solice. I almost cant wait to get to the end of those to see how you handled things. Often, i just feel vindicated that I too will sometimes just slight myself just to be non confrontational and let the petty ignorant and often delussional client have their way. I have a rekindled spark for my art again. Thank you for that. and to think I stumbled upon your blog just looking for a place to rant and rave and scream at all the ppl who collectively made me resent the very thing i used to be so passionate about. Thank you. Thank You! THANK YOU!! Sorry, I didnt quite realize just how much I had to say till it came pouring out. Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Kathleen,

      I can't tell you how humbled I am by your comments.

      I started this blog because I wanted a place to vent, to tell my crazy grooming stories (that bore my friends to tears), to have a picture diary of how I groom. If other groomers found this blog and learned something from my pictures, or my mistakes, all the better, but I really did not think that it would go anywhere.

      I have been where you are. I have felt that burnout. I have felt the anger of letting PITA customers make me question what I do and love so much. I get upset at other groomers out there that don't care as much and make it so hard for this wonderful career that I chose to be looked at as a serious career.

      I would be so honored if my little blog of ranting an rambling helped you, even a little bit, to find your passion and love for this career again. Anytime I have a owner that gets under my skin, I hug their dog and remind myself that I continue to do this job, year after year, for THE DOG!
      Thank you for your nice comments and for reading my blog. :)
      Lisa, MFF

      Delete
  6. Now if I could just find a way to make reading your blog a prerequisite for getting a grooming appointment. And yes, there will be a quiz! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a GoldenPoo mix (I hate designer breeds so I make up my own. She was rescued, I digress) and I just groomed her the most incorrect way ever today. Big freakish head, 5f all over, Clydesdale furnishings on legs, clean feet and full tail. She looks ridiculous and I love it. If only clients would lighten up and have fun with their dogs' haircuts maybe their dogs wouldn't shake so bad when they get dropped off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree!

      I can so picture that cut. Your dog doesn't care, as long as you love her!

      Lisa, MFF

      Delete