About Me:

I am a professional Pet Groomer. I have been grooming for 28 years. This Blog is a kind of diary of my work. I wish I had started years ago, writing some of the experiences I have had while grooming. Most days are fun, some can be sad, some can be just down right crazy. If you are a pet owner and come across this blog, I hope it helps you understand how your pet is groomed. If you are a Pet Groomer, I hope you can relate to some of the stories. Maybe even learn a grooming tip or can leave a friendly grooming tip for me. There is always something to learn, no matter how long you have been grooming.

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Shih-Tzu day

It's funny how you get those days that one breed comes in on the same day.
Cocker Day
Poodle Day
White dog Day
Black dog Day
You get the picture.
Today was Shih-Tzu Day.
Half the dogs today were Shih-Tuz's.
Four of them were new customers.

This is 'Ronnie'.
I have groomed him about half a dozen times.
He came to me because he had been thrown out of other shops.
I was told he is was biter.
I groomed him 4 times with no problems.
I talk to him a lot, and work slow.
He has always been good.
Until...
The 5th time.
'Ronnie' had been so good about grooming every time.
This time I let my guard down.
I had just finished carefully clipping his nails, one of his touchy spots, no problem.
Then I started talking to my daughter while scissoring his feet.
Suddenly my scissors clicked and squeezed his toe nail.
Fast as lightning, he whipped around, and one quick bite to the hand that was holding his leg up.
Then he was back to standing like a good little dog he had always been for me.
Now, I ALWAYS squeeze the bite to flush as much blood out as I can.
Then I flush it with peroxide and alcohol.

First warning flag... the bite would not bleed.
Second warning flag...it started to swell within 5 minutes.
That one little puncture hole cost me a little more than $800.


$420 in medical bills.
$380 to repair my wedding rings after the nurses butchered them cutting them off of my finger that night.
The picture above is a couple of days later.
The swelling had gone down quite a bit.
No, I did not charge 'Ronnie's' owners.
I knew the dogs history, I took the risk, I got careless.
Today, he was good.

Okay....I got WAY off track.
That's me, diarrhea of the mouth.
Or, I guess you would say fingers. (typing)

Shih-Tzu's, that is what I started to talk about.


This is 'Sunshne'.
She is a doll.
I just love her.
She hates having her face washed.
What Shih-Tzu doesn't?
We have been working on that, and she is much better about her face now.
It feels so good to work a dog through their phobias. 


This is 'Niki'.
It was my first time grooming her.
What a sweet girl.
She was very shy and scared.
She also did not like having her face washed.
By the time I finished grooming her, she was wagging her tail and gave me a kiss.
Have I said I love this job?


This is 'Brady'.
He is 'Niki's' friend.
He is also a sweet and very happy dog.
But, boy is he a wild man.
I wish I had that much energy.






This is 'Bells'.






This is 'Holly'.
'Bells' & ' Holly' are sisters.
They are almost identical.
They are a little over a year old.
Both were very over grown and matted.








It was not only Shih-Tzu day, but all of their owners wanted almost the same cut on each one of them.
Funny how things like that happen.
Most of the Shih-Tzu's I do get puppy cuts, that's why it's so funny that all of the Shih-Tzu's today wanted short clip downs.

Oh, one other thing...


I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this shampoo for Shih-Tzu faces.
You know, those stinky, moist Shih-Tzu faces.
Well, actually I use it on a lot of faces.
It really takes the stinky smell away from under the eyes and around the mouth.
It also smells wonderful (to me), and leaves a nice mild smell after the bath.

Happy Grooming, MFF

7 comments:

  1. I love green groom, never thought to use it on faces, genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the tips :)
    love this blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shih Tzu bites are nasty... I am on medication for one at the moment as my beautiful baby Bella decided to fight with Tilly my Lhasa Apso puppy and I had to step in an break it up.... She is 2 years old next week - do they mellow with age?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      I owned a feisty Shih-tzu also. He was a sweetheart with the family, but he was very protective of his toys with the other dogs. Is she spay? If not, that may be a reason for her fighting with the puppy.
      Puppies teeth are very sharp and may have hurt your Shih-tzu if they were playing and Bella reacted. It is really hard to say why she fought.
      No, my guy did not mellow very much.
      I am sorry that she bite you so badly. I hope that you feel better soon.
      Lisa, MFF

      Delete
  4. I barely purchased my Lucy sept. 28th, she's 7 months, also have a poochi, & she seem to be very moody, this site has been very informative, having a 5 yr. old grandson, helps me too be more cautious with her, are they very jeoulos of small children also? Having children around should I be concerned?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      My Shih-tzu was 5 years old when I had my first child. I owned three dogs at the time. I never left my children alone with my dogs. Not even to run and get the phone, or something. I trusted them, BUT they were still dogs, and my child was still a child that could accidentally tug in the dog the wrong way and hurt them, causing the dog to react in the only way it knew how, to nip.

      I am a strong believer in the fact that children must be trained right along with the dog. They must both be trained to respect each other. I have had several customers get rid of their dogs because the dog nipped, or bit at their child or grandchild. When I asked for details, almost every time the child had done something to the dog. Pulled its ears, or tail, or tried to ride it, ect.

      I taught my children, when they were very young, that they were never to pick up the dogs. They could only pet them (the right way, gently), and they could only hold the dog in their laps when Mommy, or Daddy was right next to them.
      Dogs are dogs. Their only defense is their teeth. Many dogs will put up with a lot before they get upset. A puppy also has very sharp teeth and they play with their siblings by biting and nipping. They need to be taught not to do that to a person.
      For the safety of your dog, your new puppy, and your Grandson, there must be rules that your Grandson must follow when it comes to playing with your dogs.
      Lisa, MFF

      Delete
  5. For the stinky smell, I use a mix of saline solution and iodine. In a spray bottle with cotton pads. My dog likes it and she never smells.

    Thank you for sharing the great photos and your experience with dogs!

    ReplyDelete